"A word in earnest is as good as a speech"
~Charles Dickens: Bleak House

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Blog #1

I have never written a blog before. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever read one (perhaps I should start). I have always had the idea of writing a book based on my observations of life. But getting a book published is a process I have neither the time nor energy to embark upon. So, here I am writing a blog.

Perhpas the first few blogs should tell you a little bit about my story. I recently turned 40 - so by most statistics I have lived half my life. This is a scary thought. I makes me realize that I really should start doing those things that I always thought I would have time to do: go to Greece, bring my kids to the Grand Canyon, write that book. Some things, like become President of the United States, I think have passed me by ... and that is ok.

I have two children, three if you count my husband. My oldest is 17 and will be starting his Sr. year in high school. My youngest is 4 and will be starting kindergarten in the fall. I also have a 19 year old step-daughter. We are the new American family: one of his, one of mine, one of ours. We also have one cat, one puppy, one ferret and some fish. I will admit most of my observations are about my children and about parenting. They can be the biggest joy in your life or the biggest pains in the butt - it really depends on the day. I love my children everyday. There are days however,  I do not like them very much. Ultimately that is my fault, until they are adults and on there own - everything your children do (good or bad) is your fault (that is one of my observations, in case you didn't notice it). Right now for instance, my 4-year-old is standing on my bed dancing so he can see his shadow on my wall. It makes me smile because it is the cutest thing, and then on the other hand I think I have told him about a million times not to jump on my bed. That in a nutshell is parenting.

I also have lupus - both  Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) and Lupus Nephritis. Basically for lack of a better way to explain it, I am allergic to myself. For no extra charge I also have fibromyalgia - which means I am in a lot of pain a lot of the time. I try really hard not to complain or go down the "poor me" path, but there are days.

So, this will be my blog. My spot on the earth to vent my frustration and spout my observations of the world. I don't know if anyone will follow it, but that really is not the point.

So, until next time ..... over and out.

1 comment: