"A word in earnest is as good as a speech"
~Charles Dickens: Bleak House

Monday, June 13, 2011

Driving in Massachusetts .... does it get crazier than that?

One my way to work this morning I made several observations:
  1. People are in way too much of a hurry to get to work. This I do not understand. Leave your house in enough time to get to work and you will have no problem. Other than that, slow down .... do you get paid more if you get there 10 minutes earlier? Is it worth risking your life or the lives of others for that parking space?
  2. It is amusing to watch the car in front of me switch lanes several times to get ahead .... only to have them end up one car behind me when the two lanes merge into one.
  3. When the two lanes are merging the car in the "ahead" position generally has the right of way. This morning the BMW behind me and to the left put the pedal to the floor to sneak in ahead of me .... only to slam on her breaks to not hit the line of traffic stopped at the red light. I wonder if this person is a friend of Charlie Sheen and needs that "winning" sensation throughout her day. Or, is her life so sad that this really is the only joy she gets? Did she go through the whole day telling her co-workers "wow, I really beat that Rav4 to the red light this morning?"
  4. Do not even get me started about people in the rotary, or entering the highway. There is this neat sign (see below) that indicates you do not have the right of way! Please acknowledge it! Not a day goes by that I do not almost get killed trying to exit the rotary by Route 1. Or worse, when I acknowledge the Yield sign pulling out onto the highway and almost get rear ended by the cars that refuse to admit the sign's existence.
  5. This does not even begin to touch on the matter of people talking on their phones. I admit I do this. However, first and foremost I pay attention to the road and the cars around me. I have been known to simply drop the phone, or tell people I can't talk because I am in a situation where the road (and the people on it) are more important than my conversation. It boggles my mind that we needed to pass a law that prohibits texting and driving. At what point did people begin to think that this was a good idea? Hmmmm I am in a vehicle going 30 mph, on a road with other vehicles going 30 miles an hour ...... I think I will take my eyes off said road to text my friend and see if they want to meet for coffee later. THESE PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING!
OK - now I am about to leave my office and head home. This could be a 40 minute commute or a 2 hour commute - it depends on the traffic. I read a report on a traffic study done some years ago. They had cars enter a raceway to determine what causes traffic. There was no explanation, but every time the 51st car entered the racetrack, there was traffic. Here is to hoping only 49 people are leaving for home at the same time I am! :)

2 comments:

  1. LOL...very funny and true observations! Connee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Driving in the USA is clearly exactly the same as the UK - with the same idiots, the same pressures and the same nutty people all of whom, as you say, must have such very sad lives that it is important to them that they get to the junction or the lights before you!

    ReplyDelete