"A word in earnest is as good as a speech"
~Charles Dickens: Bleak House

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Where I'd like to be in 10 years .....hmmmmmm

The next question in my 30-day blog is to explain where I would like to be in 10 years .....

In a perfect world I would like to be a billionaire with with several homes: one in the White Mountains in New Hampshire, one on an island in Greece, and one on the Massachusetts coast. I would like to own a Lamborghini and a restored Volkswagen Bus. And I would like to be living in a world where we have found cures for Lupus, AIDS, Cancer and any other awful disease that makes people suffer. A world where racism has been eradicated, where every human has access to enough food, water and medical attention to live a good life. Where terror in the name of religion ceases to exist. Realistically I know that just isn't going to happen .... to begin with, my Yia-Yia told me at an early age that our family just wasn't meant to be wealthy and the sooner I realized that, the happier I would be.

So with the reality that I will probably never be a billionaire and will not live to see world peace I really need to think about this. I had always said I wanted my life to be settled by the time I was forty. I have accomplished that. I have a family, a house, a career. I want for nothing. I would like a little more expendable income, but it is not a necessity.

So, where would I like to be in 10-years ..... right here. I think there are very few people who can say they are content. I am. My years of big crazy dreams are over (I have accepted the fact that I will not dance for the Boston Ballet, and I will not win an academy award). I no longer have to daydream about what my wedding will be like (it was really awesome). I would like my house to be finished, or at least one color (it is about 128 years old and still needs a lot of work .... its a process). I would like my oldest to be on his way to be settled (maybe married with a child), and my youngest doing well on his way to high school. I see myself sitting in the backyard with my husband on a cool evening with a fire going in the pit.

But most of all, in 10-years I would like to still be alive and as healthy as I am today. I think about it sometimes. It is why I try to fit so much into one day and why I tend to overdo it. There is a chance that I may not be here in ten years. And if that is the case I would like people to think of me and smile. Or, as my Yia-Yia would also say, I would like people to think well of me when I am gone.

I hate to end on a down note, but that is reality and if I am nothing else, I am real.

No comments:

Post a Comment